The Horácká Gallery in Nové Město na Moravě resides in a former renaissance chateaux on Vrastilav Square, which was built at the end of the 16th century by Vilém Dubský of Třebomyslice. The chateaux building was damaged and repaired several times during the subsequent centuries, and its current neo-renaissance appearance dates back to 1874.
The Horácká (Highland) Gallery was founded in April 1964. The first exhibition spaces were located on the second floor of today’s Town Hall, the permanent exhibition was installed in two halls of the Nové Město chateaux. In 1972 the Gallery gained the entire chateaux premises for its purpose. Today, the significance of the Horácká Gallery exceeds the borders of the Highland region.
The Gallery focuses on documenting the work of the most significant artist of the Highland region within the context of other Czech art. Extensive collections from the legacy of artists such as Jan Lauda, Josef Mařatka, Vincenc Makovský, Ladislav Martínek, Karel Pokorný and Jan Štursa were bequeathed or donated to the Gallery. The collection includes factory glass from the 1960s and 1970s, made in the famous Škrdlovice Glassworks near Žďář nad Sázavou.